Wednesday, June 18, 2014

sea turtle release

I got a call at work today from the Barbados Sea Turtle Project. I had signed up to their calling list a few weeks ago to be notified if there was a sea turtle hatching and release. They were calling to let me know that a release of Hawksbill sea turtles was scheduled tonight at 6:00pm about 30 minutes from where I live. I checked the bus schedule and realized I would have to catch the bus at 5:00. So I left work early, ran home, changed, grabbed some leftovers, and literally ran to the bus stop. 30 minutes later and the bus still wasn't there ... I hadn't factored this into my planning, but I should have assumed the schedule was on "barbados time."

After standing for 45 minutes on the most crowded bus I have ever been on (apparently they don't have capacity laws), I ended up being 15 minutes late for the release. The baby turtles usually take their time getting to the water and can take up to an hour, but not these turtles. They were quick. So by the time I got to the beach, all 167 sea turtles had made it to the water. Needless to say, I was frustrated. But I didn't totally miss out. There were a few stragglers that kept getting washed back onto the shore so I snapped a few pictures as quickly as I could before the next wave washed them back out to sea.

 

And this last picture I got off the Sea Turtle Project's website, all of the turtles heading for the water. I'm sad I missed the release but I'm still happy I went. I was told that there would be more releases in July on the South coast (way closer to me) so I will hopefully have another chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment